Volvo Group Design Liaison - Senior in Dublin, Virginia
The purpose of this job is to investigate and resolve problems which occur during the assembly process. Performs more complex engineering support tasks under limited supervision that supports the mission of the unit, department and/or VTNA. Requires the ability to interpret the principles, theories, and concepts related to a specialized technical area or assignment.
Coordinates communication among engineering, production, quality, processing and material's staff of problem investigation and resolution.
• Provides guidance and technical information to resolve problems during the manufacturing process of Engineering or unknown origin and report solutions in a timely manner to all affected departments to assure quality built trucks. Resolve these problems on-line if possible, or as soon as possible.
• Solve Engineering problems with documented temporary solutions and route these to Engineer, Production, Materials, Quality, and Suppliers. Contact responsible departments for non-Engineering related problems so they can act accordingly. Initiate and follow up electronic Liaison problem reports, Deviation, Project, Assembly and Factory Reports which involve extensive follow up to reach implemented solutions. Contact affected departments of in-process trucks, contact Engineering of unsolved problems and documented off-line trucks with Engineering Blue Sheets.
• Make decisions during the assembly process that affects product reliability, product liability and company profitability.
• Monitor the order board for potential problem build trucks to resolve problems before the trucks build. Review the truck build schedule to identify difficult build trucks and check problem orders to communicate problems and/or solutions. Follow up to ensure orders are corrected.
• Communicate to affected departments. Review alteration sheets and communicate changes and provide technical feedback to Engineering on new designs, ENO/DCN releases, and support implementation of new designs in production.
• Provide outsourcing and off-site vendor support (ACA, Imperial, Manufacturing, Flexaloy, Fontaine, etc.) and communicate solutions via phone, fax and on-site visits. Ensure a good working relationship is maintained and employ all available resources to resolve problems, conflicts and questions quickly.
• Attend Engineering meetings between NRV and GSO Product Engineering representing the specific business unit. Support documentation of routing and clipping changes on the VH & VHD models.
• Attend pilot reviews and support Sales and Dealership personnel for customer production build ensuring the truck order and broadcast are updated and correct.
• Make dealer and customer visits to promote good business partner relationship.
• Support Body in White on cab issues.
• Investigate engineering audit issues, responses and follow up.
• Support the Reliability Group to resolve field problems.
• Assist the Method's Lab personnel with product knowledge, PMR, Process and CA Options; issuing Project Reports when required.
• Support implementation of OJ releases from GSO.
• Look for cost and weight saving ideas and provide guidance and technical information for the cost and weight reduction program.
• Research allocation issues - parts not being used at use point; missing parts on the vehicle broadcast; coordinate with the IE Department to correct these issues and support IE personnel with guidance and technical information on truck build.
• Responsible for out of spec torque approval (per QS14.11.2).
• Supply production with Engineering drawings as required.
• Layout drillings missed or changed on frame rails as required for problem resolution, late alterations and customer changes.
• Review Vehicle Alteration Sheets to ensure all problems have been reported and followed up.
• Provide support for Customer Option Center.
• Analytical Skills: Recognizing patterns in data, information, or events, drawing logical conclusions, and making recommendations for action.
• Attention to Detail: Monitoring adherence to standards and actively checking for accuracy of data received or generated before passing it on.
• Communication: Listening effectively, transmitting information accurately and understandably, and actively seeking feedback non-defensively.
• Conceptual Thinking: Understanding how elements, problems, and situations are related to each other and to the larger environment.
• Dependability/Reliability: Following through on commitments, producing timely work to required -- or higher -- standards, and pitching in to get the job done.
• Flexibility :Performing a wide range of tasks, responding to changes in direction and priorities, and accepting new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments.
• Initiative: Taking action in the absence of specific instructions or in the absence of a specific requirement, taking reasonable risks to achieve results, and persevering when challenged.
• Ownership I Accountability: Taking the lead in getting the job done and accepting responsibility for personal actions, costs, and results.
• Problem Solving/Decision Making: Taking a well-ordered approach to solving problems and acting despite obstacles or resistance.
• Quality Advocate: Championing the quality process by reinforcing the organization's vision, quality values, and quality processes and by fostering the continuous improvement of all operational and business practices.
• Teamwork: Building cooperation among individuals and departments, sharing information and resources, and working to achieve group goals and outcomes.
• PC and Microsoft Office skills.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Associates in Applied Science degree in Drafting & Design with three (3) years of Design Liaison or Design experience in the heavy truck or automotive industries.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions, as well as all production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group's customers as well as for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chain for all brands, production facilities and distribution centers where the Volvo Group operates.
In Volvo Group Trucks Operations you will be part of a diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
Auto req ID
Group Trucks Operations
Travel Required (Maximum)
Last application date
Volvo Group North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer E.O.E/M/F/Disability/Veteran